Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Do As I Say, Not As I Do!

I am almost 4 months into this DVT experience, and so if it wasn't for the little bugger above my knee...oh, and the fleck on my lung, I would be off the Warfarin, no more blood tests, back on the grog, and supposedly back to normal. All going well.

But alas, I am still on it, taking 4mg on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and 3.5mg on all the other days....till I get my INR (International Normalising Ratio - about how coagulating your blood is) level checked again tomorrow, and there could be a new dosage combination. The aim is to keep my INR between 2 and 3, which seems to be up and down. Better since I have been having a beer three times a week, but still, last fortnight's test said 2.2, after a 3.0 and 2.6.

My mid week beer has become a topic of bullying and jest at work, with an email halfway through the day 'encouraging' at least someone to stay and have a beer with me, on the weeks I haven't had plans mid week, cos of my personal rule about not drinking on my own. The medicinal mid week beer is now an expectation, and a great reason to catch up with workmates during the week, over a forced beer!

Over the last three weeks, I have been having leg pain, pretty consistantly. Have also been pretty stressed at work, with the end of the quarter, and the usual pressures. Reflecting on the months since getting the DVT diagnosis, I have thrown myself back into work, and with a sniff of achieving my bonus, I busted it with late nights, to make sure I got it. Which hasn't helped the leg. With compromised blood flow, stress levels lead to leg pain.....not good. My return to work has been bull at a gate, which is not at all what I dish out to my caseload! Tsk tsk!

Have talked to the GP today, and he has given me two days off, to try and get my stress levels back to baseline, and then my leg back to some kind of usual feeling. Then I need to 'get back to normal' he says, in terms of activity level. He was talking about bike riding and jogging....sadly the only sport I want to get back to would be drinking....still another 2 months for that!

Now just waiting on my new beige full leg, but open toe, compression stockings to arrive for summer...how exciting!

2 comments:

  1. go and play ultimate. It's a bit of running and very social :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ultimate! Where plastic discs would fly at my face!!?? I am currently not allowed to bleed, cos it won't stop! I think Ultimate would come under risk taking behaviour at the moment!! Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...