Saturday, May 14, 2011

Seems Like Old Times

The Love Is A Mix Tape group birthday challenge last year comprised of sending and receiving a picture from a mixer, and making a mix tape accordingly. The picture I got was pretty personal, so I can't share it, but it was of, presumably, father and child listening to music, sitting in their very 80s lounge room, on the floor with headphones on. I am sure many of us can picture it...

The big square speakers of the stereo system, the record player and tape player stacked up, the big black leather ear pieces, the daggy 80s retro clothing on both dad and child, and the dominant browns of such a room, back in the day.

So, this is the collection I put together for it, within the theme of this intimate experience of listening to music with a parent, and also some sentimental tracks to evoke that time.

Homage to my Dad and the ABC – Clare Bowditch and The Feeder Set;
Message to God – Little Birdy;
Seems Like Old Times – Sarah Blasko;
Sons & Daughters – The Decemberists;
Daughters – John Mayer;
Two Of Us – Aimee Mann & Michael Penn;
Casimir Pulaski Day – Sufjan Stevens;
My Old Man – Anika Moa;
Old Man – EJ Barnes & Liam Finn;
Flame Trees – The Sacred Heart School, Cabramatta;
Whatever Makes You Happy – Powderfinger;
When I First Met Your Ma – Paul Kelly;
Katie – Missy Higgins;
The House At Pooh Corner – Josh Pyke;
Weir – Killing Heidi;
A Million Little Pieces – The Good China;
Forever My Friend – Ray LaMontagne;
White Wine In The Sun – Tim Minchin

This is the message I got back from my receipient:
I adore my mixtape!!! It actually brought a wee tear to my eye. I never knew such amazing songs existed, and it's obvious you've put a lot of thought into it - it matches that picture perfectly!
That's pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...