Thursday, April 18, 2013

Views Of The Himalayas


Sitting in a bar in Siem Reap, I was recommended a spot in Nepal, "just 40 minutes drive from Kathmandu", where I could get an amazing view of the Himalayas by a young Aussie girl who could not stop raving about the country. She has spent some time there, and scribbled the name of the place on a scrap of paper for me. She said if I didn't have time for a trek, then this would be the next best thing. She was bang on!


So the drive to Nagarkot took an hour to reach the top of the smaller mountain among the bigger, whitecapped mountains, but that was the only bit my fellow traveller was wrong about.

The view was breathtaking!

I'll admit that whilst my driver was working on the climb up the 2000 meters above sea level, I was skeptical that I would get to see the mountains from here. There was smog at first, and then clouds.

Then I caught a glimpse of the magical view of the snow peaks.

My driver took me to the lookout near The Tea House, where I gazed. Then I walked down to The Tea House and had a pot of tea to soak in the view. And the clear, fresh air.

Imagine if this view was your backyard - wow! For the village on the mountain in front of where the decking was at The Tea House, it's theirs!


As my time up there was reaching midday, the cloud blanket that was covering the valley below started to rise and hide away the best bits of the Himalayas, and so it was time to head back to Kathmandu for me.


On a clear day, or in the early morning, you can reportedly see from Annapurna to the left all the way to Everest on the right. Wow! I recommended staying up here overnight to my travelling buddies, and they confirmed the Everest sighting at sunrise. What a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...