Sunday, August 27, 2006

Great Scot!

Finishing work on Friday, I raced out to Gatwick to get my flight up to Scotland for the long weekend. Derobed of my belt, my shoes, my lipbalm (noooo!) and my bottle of water, I passed though security only to find my flight delayed. I don't think I have ever had a flight from Gatwick that has left on time!

Arriving much later then planned, I missed my booking for a film at the Edinburgh Film Festival. Meant to be the next big US cult classic...thanks to Easyjet I landed after it had started!! Hearlded as the next big US cult movie, if Apart From That is huge....ahhh!

Coming into the city on a doubledecker bus, all the amazing, ornate buildings of Edinburgh were all lit up, and a light show seemed to dance over the imposing and spectacular Edinburgh Castle.

I made my way out to Bathgate, and the Dreadnought Hotel, where I had booked a room for two nights. A full English breakfast the next morning, I made may way back into town, and to the Old Town.

From the station I made my way up to Edinburgh Castle, and I did a walking tour through there. Seeing the Scottish Crown Jewels, and the Stone of Destiny, I was reading about a time and war I know so little about. Walking through the ancient walls you can almost hear the whisperings of "they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!" Well, I remember Mel Gibson accurately!!


I then walked down the bustling and very busy Royal Mile, heaving with people and street performers for the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Street stalls and encouragement to go to a million and one different shows!

After a pint in The Clever Dick (the strangest pub names up here!), and a show or two, I wandered back through the streets and awe inspiring architecture of the Old Town before heading back. (More photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...