Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Contrasts of Kampung Baru in KL


Inspired by Yomadic's post, I went for a wander around the village of Kampung Baru in Kuala Lumpur to check out the authentic Malay style of living, right here in the city.


Just one stop away on the train from the ultra-modern KLCC and it's endless maze of shopping and lights, this village has it's own stores and local restaurants, it's places of worship, and school. It was quiet in the middle of the day, with only a handful of people about the narrow streets.


The ramshakled houses and stores, and the stalls and markets, are a treat to see after all the steel and lights and windows of the rest of the city. All with the imposing Petronas Towers in the background.


As I walked through I was approached by a couple of locals at different points, keen to help me find my way to the station, thinking that I was lost. They clearly don't get many tourists among these streets, as they go about their usual life in this pocket of KL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...