Friday, August 16, 2013

Sarah Blasko’s I Awake

At the start of the month I got to see Sarah Blasko on stage once more, to perform most of her new album. I so love seeing a new collection of tracks come to life, as their singer-songwriter intended, and Ms Blasko puts on the most mesmorising of shows, always.

Grabbing the train after work, Andrea met me at Ballarat Station, and we went off to The Forge for an amazing dinner. A catch up among the rustic setting, with such delicious pizza choices. The old antique shop in Armstrong Street never looked and smelt so good!


Taking our seats in the fourth row of the Wendouree Performing Arts Centre, we were soon treated to lights down on the impressive theatre and Fletcher on stage. Rare for the support to have a darkend room for his set, he took to his acoustic rock-folk story-telling songs, and captured the seated audience.

Then Sarah took the stage, with Fletcher back out on guitar, and the rest of her travelling band. She wore all black as she float about on stage in her characteristic performance movement delivery. In the middle section of the set, she donned long black gloves with sparkles, to add to the effect, and it was hard to draw your eyes away from the movement and glitter!

Opening with All I Want, Ms Blasko treated us to a handful of older tracks like We Won't Run, before introducing her new album material. Hold On My Heart continues to be my favourite song of hers, from my favourite album of hers, As Day Follows Night, and so lovely to hear live once more.

I Awake has come to life for me after hearing it live this night, being the title track of the new album. Cast The Net stayed with me for days after seeing it performed on stage. Sarah was chatty and engaging between songs, so cute. She finished a rousing God-Fearing, and explained that it was about bullying, which made her angry.

I was at a gig where Sarah declared that she wouldn't play the Cold Chisel cover of Flame Trees anymore, and then changed her mind, and so I was delighted to hear her doing it again - particularly sentimental having returned to my own hometown for the night.

I was pretty surprised when Andrea said that she hadn't seen her live before, as we both walked out of the theatre at the end of the show in awe of our incredible night. Ms Blasko, it was a treat as always!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...