Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Winning The Smashes

One night stop on the final leg of the roadtrip, and a very early driving start, and we made it to Perth and the WACA for the first ball for the others who had tickets for that day. I took our 4WD back, and then made my out to meet Charmaine, who is staying in Perth at the moment and sweet enough to let me stay with her.

Charmas and I caught up for the day, having not seen each other for around 2 years, with a late lunch in Leederville, and then drinks and the view of the city from King's Park as the sun was setting behind us. I met Pascal, and we then drove back home via the beach for a view of the sun sinking into the sea.

Thursday being Day Two, and one of the days I had tickets for, I headed into town on the train, and then rode the free bus service in Perth, which took me to the WACA. This is the first time I have been to the WACA, and with the match looking interesting after a shaky day for the Aussies the day before, I set myself up on the East hill for the day's play. At the tea breck, I meet Miss Laura's dad, who took me into the Member's Enclosure for the final session, and a few heavies. Out to Cottesloe and the Ocean Beach Hotel after the day's play for drinks and a late dinner, with another great sunset over the beach.

The next day, Day 3 was a day I also did not have tickets for, however with the traveling group a pass was found through Matty J. Was great to see him, and sit with him for the day in the Member's Enclosure, on a VIP Guest Pass of Mr Breett Lee's. Whilst I was under the shade for the day, the players and the rest of the crowd baked in a 41C day - however it turned out to be an exciting day of cricket, with centries from Hussey, Clarke, and the second fastest century ever by Gilchrist. After play, a group of us walked down along the river Swan and a late dinner, before a quiet drink at the Barmy Army HQ, The Lucky Shag. We had made the bold statement that this would be out last dinner before we won the Ashes...

Charmaine joined me and the Chicks on Tour girls, and Dave, on Day 4 for a rather slow days' play. Certainly not the day we had anticipated, the Poms dug in, and held on till the last hour...and then several wickets fell in quick succession to set the final day up for our win.



And what a win! Labelled The Smashes early on, the Aussies managed to win back The Ashes yesterday, 3-0. A very exciting day, and one that seems to have righted the world again! Celebratory drinks at The Royal was had by a rather large group of Waving The Flag travelers.

Several of us were then driven out to the airport (thanks Charmas and Pascal!) to get respective red eye flights home. I arrived into Melbourne at 6.30am this morning, feeling a little worse for wear. I have managed to have a job interview and stay awake so for, but am in for some much needed rest before we do it all again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...