Thursday, July 12, 2012

Shiny Ottawa

Ottawa city is a place of such contrasts, with the grand traditional government buildings, and then the mirrored, gloss of the corporate section.


Coming from the bus station, this area was my first impression once I had hit the CBD, all shiny with the glass and steel of business buildings.

I think this could even qualify as a Big Thing in Canada - the Big Tea Kettle, perhaps? A little web searching has led me to learn that the space at this intersection is Minto Place’s and the kettle is Northshore by Noel Harding. That is indeed a tree growing out of the top of the kettle...


Across from the outer building of Parliament Hill, over on Bank Street, the halves of the city come together with this reflection from corporate Canada of the grand past...

2 comments:

  1. Shiny things! I'm like a magpie when it comes to shiny things, except I won't try and peck your face off if you come into my territory. Seriously, I had no idea that Ottawa was this modern. I mean I know it's the Canadian capital but I had visions of a quaint, Victorian town for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, the quaint little town you think of could be Quebec City, really.
      This is a section of Ottawa, and clearly very corporate and modern. And then there is the iconic and grand Parliament Hill not far from this.

      Thanks for the visit and comment!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...